Comic book stores first boomed in the 70s and 80s, and they continue to be frequented by teenagers and adults alike even now. Although smartphones and iPads are slowly taking their place, there′s still something about those bookshelves full of comics made available for everyone.
If you thought stars didn′t visit such friendly and down-to-earth places, think again.
Lee Seung Gi and U-Know Yunho recently proved they were big fans of comics on SBS′ Strong Heart and MBC′s Joo Byung Jin Talk Concert, so enews visited the comic shops they frequented to find out more about their tastes in comics.
TVXQ′s U-Know Yunho appeared on the May 10 broadcast of Talk Concert and revealed, "I was once kicked out of a comic shop because I didn′t return my comics [on time]." He also talked about a similar incident on Strong Heart in the past.
The comic shop he was kicked out of turned out to be the same place Lee Seung Gi also used to go to. Lee Seung Gi said in surprise, "I was also kicked out because I didn′t pay my overdue charges either."
The comic shop they were talking about turned out to be a store named ′Son Oh Gong′ in Gangnam. When the two revealed the name of the shop, it managed to make it into the top ranks of keyword search lists online.
Thanks to them, we were able to visit a comic shop for the first time in a long time, and the owners, a middle-aged couple, greeted us when we got there.
The comics Lee Seung Gi and U-Know Yunho read
One of the owners said, "It′s hard to see Lee Seung Gi and U-Know Yunho these days because they moved away." However, she still remembered them because they were such big stars.
She remembered Lee Seung Gi was a fan of the martial arts comic The Ruler of the Land. She also said that he "enjoyed comics in similar genres."
"[Lee] Seung Gi was the same as he is on television," said the owner. "He was very polite, and was like a model student. He would stay for a short while, but he made me feel that he′s a very polite man."
U-Know Yunho was such a big fan of comics that he would always find time in his busy schedule to drop in. The owner said that he "wasn′t like a celebrity at all."
"He′s tall and handsome, but doesn′t seem like a celebrity. (Laugh) He opens up first and he draws you into him as a person. I think I became more attached to him because he was a star, but he didn′t act like it."
Japan TV proves the power of hallyu star U-Know Yunho
After the two mentioned the comic shop on Strong Heart, fans showed explosive reactions. Not only were fans eager to drop in, but a broadcasting company from Japan as well. It was all thanks to U-Know Yunho′s popularity in the country.
"We received a request for an interview from Japanese TV. We were surprised because they spoke such fluent Korean. We refused though."
She said she could see the popularity of the hallyu star U-Know Yunho.
In the case of Lee Seung Gi, the Korean fans made more of a fuss. After the broadcast, some fans came in and even said they would pay Lee Seung Gi′s overdue fees themselves.
"Some fans came in and said they would pay Lee Seung Gi′s overdue fees, but he didn′t have any overdue fees then. He had already paid them. (Laugh)"
If you would like to be a member of the shoutbox, please email email@example.com with the following message and information: "I read and understand DBSKnights' rules. If I fail to comply, I will be banned and will not be able to register again. My username is ____ and password is ____ "
If at least one of the following rules is not followed, DBSKnights has every right to ban the person or people involved.
1. Do not bash any of the members of TVXQ and JYJ. This website supports Kim Jaejoong, Jung Yunho, Park Yoochun, Kim Junsu and Shim Changmin together and individually.
2. When sharing information and news about the boys, backtrack to avoid double posting. The shoutbox allows you to visit previous chats.
3. Do not post rumors and other unconfirmed news. Check the credibility of your sources before posting.
4. Please keep the conversations in the shoutbox below PG-13. Not all the fans are adults and comfortable talking about inappropriate topics.
5. Do not post personal information about yourself or others. It's against the law to share private information such as IP addresses. This is for your safety and others as well.
6. Talk kindly to each other and avoid getting into an argument with another fan. If you feel the tension is rising, please kindly back away and leave the shoutbox. Once it's calm, you may return.
7. If a person is not following the rules, please let them know and ask them kindly to read the shoutbox rules before continuing the conversation.
8. Only ask or stop another fan from violating any of the rules ONCE. This is to avoid dictatorship and hostility in the shoutbox. If they continue to violate the rules after your first warning, ignore them and email us about it.
Donate to help DBSKnights provide free light sticks for TVXQ and JYJ concerts!